Mooji has dedicated his life in service to all who desire to awaken into their natural Self.

Mooji is a true light in this world, whose presence, wisdom and loving guidance point us to who we are beyond the limitations of our conditioning and identity. In open interactions with this great spiritual Master, seekers of Truth from all backgrounds and traditions are introduced to the direct path to freedom through self-inquiry and The Invitation—which is proving to be one of the most effective aids for true and lasting Self-discovery. Universal in his appeal, Mooji’s wisdom, compassion, openness and humour profoundly touch the hearts of those who meet him, thereby inspiring each one to find within themselves the deep peace, love and silence they recognise in him.

Mooji—Anthony Paul Moo-Young—was born on 29 January, 1954 in  Port Antonio, Jamaica to Euphemia Bartlett and Enos Moo-Young. When he was about a year old, Euphemia moved to England, and young Anthony remained in Jamaica in the care of his father and his aunt, Eunice. Eunice embraced the child with great love and care as though he was her own son. Anthony also regarded her as his loving mother. Enos also was a very devoted and affectionate father. He himself was highly respected by very many people in their town because of his kindness, equanimity and warmth towards everyone. He was seen by many as a friend and was affectionately called ‘Papa Enos’ or ‘Maas Enos’ (Maas is a warm and respectful way of greeting a man, used instead of the title ‘Mr’).

Anthony (far right) with his cousins (left to right) Joan, Michael, Roger and Georgia Moo-Young. Circa 1966, Port Antonio, Jamaica
Anthony (far right) with his cousins (left to right) Joan, Michael, Roger and Georgia Moo-Young. Circa 1966, Port Antonio, Jamaica

Anthony had an extraordinarily close relationship with his father and speaks of him with great adoration and love. He often recounts how they used to sleep together in a tiny bed barely big enough for one person. These years with his father, Eunice and his other siblings were totally showered in love, playfulness and a deep sense of security. The family lived together in the Moo-Young family home, a long wooden house with different rooms where Anthony’s uncles and aunts and their children also lived. It was more like one big family, and one couldn’t easily distinguish who was whose child. It was a very beautiful and nurturing environment for a child, as Mooji recollects. 

In 1962, Enos travelled to the capital city of Kingston accompanied by his younger brother, George, to undergo some medical tests but never returned home. He died suddenly of pneumonia in Kingston. The unexpected death of his father had a big impact on Anthony’s life—he was only eight years old at the time. However, the strength and warmth of his upbringing put the young boy’s mind in good stead for what was later to come. George, Anthony’s uncle, took over the responsibility for his upbringing, and his life changed suddenly and drastically under his uncle’s supervision.

George Moo-Young, Anthony's uncle
George Moo-Young, Anthony's uncle

Uncle George—as Anthony would call him—was a hard-working family man with four children of his own. He cared for the family business, which was a grocery shop on the main road, just in front of the house. Uncle George had strong religious views, and he had felt for a while that his nephew needed more discipline rather than the outpouring of affection he had experienced with his father. This new life with his uncle was not the most easy or enjoyable period because of the strict discipline he began receiving. Added to this, he had to do difficult chores and to work daily in the grocery shop, a time he would otherwise have spent playing outside. 

However, it was during this period with his uncle that he was introduced to the Bible in a very intimate way. Along with his cousin, Joan, he had to get up early each morning to read and discuss passages from the Bible with his uncle before going to school. It was due to these early morning readings under mosquito net and candlelight that Anthony developed the deep love for biblical stories, and in particular the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and those of the prophets of old. Only later did he come to appreciate that the disciplines he so disliked had actually contributed greatly to his later life.

When Anthony was about 13 years old, his uncle left to live in America and gradually sent for all his children to join him in the United States. Anthony stayed in Port Antonio with Eunice and his other siblings. After Uncle George and his family immigrated to the United States, Anthony’s life would return to a level of freedom and playfulness again with his brothers and sisters and under the motherly care of Eunice.

In 1969, Anthony began to correspond with his birth mother, Euphemia, which reawakened a mutual yearning to be together. Anthony eventually travelled to the UK to join his mother and the rest of his UK family in 1970; he was 16 years old. A new chapter had begun.

In his twenties, after finishing school and college, and after working in a few odd jobs, Mooji started working as a street artist in London, making portraits of tourists outside the National Portrait Gallery on Charing Cross Road and later on in the famous Piccadilly Circus. This was a very exciting, adventurous period for him as he was meeting people from all over the world. But in 1985, all this came to an abrupt end when his sister, Cherry, was accidentally shot by the police and paralysed, an event which led to the infamous Brixton riots. Mooji found himself the spokesperson for the family and pushed into the limelight. All this brought an end to his life as a street artist. 

In 1987, Mooji met Michael, a seemingly chance meeting which would completely change his life. Mooji often describes Michael as a young Christian mystic, and he was powerfully drawn to Michael’s humility, wisdom and faith in Christ. Together they would have very deep and inspiring conversations about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and living as a present day disciple. These profound meetings were the precursor and a kind of catalyst to Mooji’s conscious search for Truth. 

At the end of one of these conversations, Mooji asked Michael to pray for him the next time that he would pray, to which Michael simply replied, ‘Why not now?’ and they prayed together. Following the prayer, Mooji experienced a great lightness and peace inside his being. He felt he didn’t want to sleep in case this immense peace and joy would fade away, but when he awoke the next morning, to his delight, it was all still present—and to this day, the deep inner peace has remained. It was in that auspicious meeting in 1987, through Michael, that the first awakening took place to the reality of God as the living force pervading all life. ‘After this, I felt I was moving in the footprints of a higher power. I was a changed man from there on. All that I had lived before, including who I considered myself to be, became insignificant overnight.’ 

1988: Tony Moo (Middle) being baptised by Michael (right) and Simon (left)

Mooji began to spend a lot of time on his own, deeply absorbed in this new state that had come over him. For a while, he attended the church gatherings in Michael’s room, but shortly after, he left there and began spending time on his own. An inner mystical connection with the Supreme continued to blossom powerfully. Mooji says, ‘I knew the Christ light and love of God had entered and filled my heart, and I simply walked out of the life I felt I had known. A deep feeling of blissful detachment arose inside my being. It was as though I was now perceiving life sitting on the lap of God.’

Around this time, Mooji resigned from his work as an art teacher at the local college in Brixton and began moving about freely in his town. It was a time of incredible transformation—silent and rich in spiritual insights and awakenings. In fact, for about 3 years during this period, he struggles to remember how the years passed. There was little inclination to be in the company of people. His mind was becoming increasingly introverted, rooted in the love of God. 

At some point, Mooji began to look for anyone who could guide him into higher states of consciousness in order to transcend the personal tendencies that were still coming up. One day, he walked into Watkins, a well-known spiritual bookstore in the centre of London. Now, not being an avid reader, his eye caught a picture of a serene-looking face on the cover of a very thin book of just a few pages: Who Am I?, the teachings of Ramana Maharshi. However, when he opened it, Mooji was unable to grasp the self-inquiry that was offered there and he immediately closed the book, sure that the serene face on the cover had been put on the wrong book. Instead, he found another book: The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna. Mooji says, ‘I was so moved by the few words I read in this book that I was unable to put it down. Ramakrishna’s words were speaking directly into my heart confirming what I had known intuitively but could not articulate.’

One day, Mooji’s sister, Cherry, requested him to make a mural painting on a wall in her house—Cherry was paralysed and could only move around with a wheelchair. Mooji made several beautiful murals depicting typical scenes of the Jamaican countryside they both knew as children growing up. Cherry loved these paintings so much that she gifted him some money. With that money and without any real plans but simply a powerful urge to drink in as much spirituality as he could, Mooji travelled to India.

Mooji arrived in Delhi with the sole intention of travelling to Ramakrishna’s home and temple in Dakshineswar, Calcutta. After spending a short time in Rishikesh, North India, one day, he happened to meet some disciples of Sri Harilal Poonja, and this unusual meeting with them is how he came to meet his Master, Sri Poonja (Papaji), in form. Mooji tells, ‘When I met Papaji, I knew my steps were guided by grace. The urge to go to Calcutta and to visit Ramakrishna’s place subsided. I had met the living Buddha. It was my time with Papaji in Lucknow that really brought me into the experiential recognition of the Self as pure awareness.’

Mooji spent a few months in Lucknow in Papaji’s gracious presence. He stayed in India for several months, even travelling to Tiruvannamalai, South India, with Papaji’s blessing, before returning to Lucknow. It was there in Lucknow, in March 1994, that he received the news that his eldest son, Jason, had died of viral pneumonia. Mooji returned to London immediately to be with his family and to arrange for the burial of his son.

Mooji would sit for hours in the garden of his Brixton flat
Mooji would sit for hours in the garden of his Brixton flat

In London, looking for a way to make a living, Mooji began selling incense on Electric Avenue, Brixton Market. It was a time of great joy and freedom. It was during this period that Mooji began to encounter beings who were drawn to him. Some of them continue to follow him to this very day. In 1997, Mooji was to return to India to be with Papaji once again. Unbeknown to him, this would be his final time physically sitting at his Master’s feet. In September 1997, a month after Mooji returned home from that trip, a friend called him to let him know of the passing away of Papaji. Some time later when someone asked him how the death of Papaji affected his life, Mooji remarked, ‘The Master does not die. It is the mister, the person, that dies. The Master, that timeless principle within alone exists and is the Real.’

Over the next few years, Mooji continued selling incense in the local market, and his famous chai shop evolved outside Brixton Wholefoods and became a place where some of the early seekers would come to meet him. He would also meet small numbers of people inside his tiny apartment in Brixton Hill. In those early years, Mooji was not inclined to speak, yet more and more would seek him out to sit with him, recognising his radiant presence. 

Gradually, some of them began asking questions regarding the nature of consciousness and their search for the direct experience of Truth. As Mooji was happiest sitting in silence, he prayed that since these kinds of seekers were now increasing, that God would give the inspiration, grace and power to bring them into the Truth. Thus, he found the capacity to answer not only the questions but the questioners also. It was becoming increasingly clear to him that both the questions and the questioners were phenomenal, and the deeper Truth, the God-Self is always beyond, awaiting discovery. This was the birth of Satsang—and this is when people began calling him ‘Mooji’.

Since then, Mooji has been sharing Satsang with seekers from all over the world whose hearts are yearning to directly recognise and experience the one true Self. Though he travels all over the world sharing the Truth he found, Mooji spends most time in Monte Sahaja Ashram in Portugal, the UK and India.

His wisdom, guidance and love is renowned, and his powerful presence is tangible in every encounter, revealing itself in all those who meet him. He has a remarkable ability to guide those who are open into the direct recognition of the Self. He answers questions from people from every walk of life with dazzling clarity, intuitive compassion and profound simplicity, and is why thousands upon thousands are discovering Mooji as a true guide. His teachings and pointers reach all corners of the world.

Each and every living being is an embodiment of the imperishable Self. The highest purpose of life is to awaken to this truth experientially as the very core of our existence. An awakened master is the midwife to this rebirth as pure consciousness.

Cookies on

If you continue to browse this website, you agree to our use of cookies. These cookies do not include the placement of any advertisement, but allow us to give you the best possible browsing experience here on